We are now in the fifth year of the Sports Premium. This is a grant that has been given to all schools by the Government in the wake of the 2012 Olympics in order to raise standards in physical skills and games. It has also been brought into being in order to support more young people in taking part in physical activity. At Severnbanks Primary School we believe in the development of the whole child and that PE plays a vital part in this process. We support healthy living and the sports premium helps us to introduce children to new sports and to become more skilled in the everyday sports. We provide a wide range of activities in school which aim to engage and inspire all our pupils. We are committed to ensuring that our pupils receive at least 2 hours per week of high quality PE.
We know that sports in themselves, do not just deliver physical benefits. They help children to learn to be disciplined, to take turns,to display good sportsmanship and to strive to do their best. Through participating in sporting activities our pupils learn about the importance of key values for life. The social aspects of sport can also often be beneficial to all children and confidence and well-being can develop from taking part in physical activities. PE provides our pupils with a safe environment to form social and moral values in pupils, helping them to learn how to deal with competition; wining and losing and the importance of taking part.
However, we must also be mindful that some children do not enjoy physical activity; they may be overweight, poor in their co-ordination or lack confidence and thus they feel alienated from these kinds of activities. We need to provide a variety of opportunities to inspire all of our pupils to be more active.
At Severnbanks Primary School we aim:
- for all children to take part in regular and structured physical activity.
- for children's core skills and competence in physical activity to grow.
- to increase participation in a physical activity both in school and out of school.
- to embed the idea that regular exercise is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle.
We use our Sports Premium Funding to help us meet the following Aims of the National Curriculum for Physical Education.
- To develop the competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- To increase the level of physical activity for our pupils
- To engage in competitive sports and activities
- To lead healthy active lifestyles.
All Stars Cricket