Skip to content ↓

Parental support

Useful Parent Contacts

IPSEA (Independent Parental Special Education Advice)

A national charity providing free legal based advice to families/carers who have children with special educational needs. All advice is given by trained volunteers.

Phone: 0800 0184016


SENDIASS Gloucestershire

Gloucestershire’s parent/carer support group provides free, confidential, impartial advice and helps parents play an active and informed role in their child’s education.


Phone (free from a landline): 0800 158 3603

Phone (from a mobile): 01452 389345


Glosfamilies Directory

This online directory can help families/carers to find a lot more information about the wide range services they may need. From parenting and special needs advice to health and money worries.


Alternatively you can call the Family Information Service: 0800 542 0202


I Can

This charity can give you lots of advice and information about helping your child with their speech and language. It even has an assessment that you can do at home for your child’s speech.



The National Autistic Society

This charity gives you lots of information and advice about the Autistic Spectrum.


If your child has a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Disorder, please speak to the SENDCo for parent support groups and support. There are special parent training courses that can give you advice and strategies to help deal with Autistic Children.

Early Bird - for parents of children who are under 5 when they are diagnosed

Early Bird Plus - for parents of children who are between 4 to 8 when they are diagnosed

There are also opportunities for parents to attend Total Communication training which covers all areas  of communication including Makaton (as used by Mr Tumble on Cbeebies) and visual symbols.

Total Communication

Training for parents - makaton

Understood – for learning and attention issues

Funding Grant Support for Families of Disabled Children 

Through the Support for Families with Disabled Children programme you can apply for items that will help meet your child’s additional support needs and make family life easier.

For example, you could request a kitchen appliance like a fridge, cooker, or washing machine, clothing or bedding for your child, sensory or play equipment, technology items such as tablets and laptops, or even a much-needed family break.


You can apply for an SFDC grant every 24 months. To be eligible, you must also be:

  • The main carer for a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or younger 
  • Resident in England
  • In receipt of benefits, or on a low income from working